Talk about a change! This recipe will knock you into next Tuesday!
The textures are great along with the flavor. The cake is grilled until crunchy on the outside, the bacon is crispy and you have all those sweet strawberries and the delicate whipped topping. It makes for a delightfully nice change from your basic shortcake.
4 pats of butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 c sliced strawberries
1/4 c sugar
4 slice bacon or more to taste
4 slice angel food cake
1. Add sugar to the sliced strawberries and put into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to macerate.
2. Slice 4 slices of angel food cake about 1/2 inch thick and butter both sides. On the top side sprinkle with brown sugar. After I sliced mine I took a biscuit cutter and cut them in circles. You do not have to. You can grill it or just put it in your skillet with the brown sugar side up and brown on both sides. Once the plain butter side is browned when you flip the side with the brown sugar over it will not burn. Takes about 2 minutes.
3. You will want to fry your bacon until it is very crisp and you can crumble it. Let the bacon cool and crumble. Drain the bacon grease out of your skillet The skillet will look wet but just set it aside to be used in a couple of minutes
4. Add the bacon to the macerated strawberries. Heat up the skillet you fried the bacon in and turn it off and put the strawberries in the hot skillet. Toss them around just for a minute so that they are juicy.
5. Put them in the fridge to cool. After cooling place them on the toasted angel food cake slices and top with whipped cream.
Photo & recipe courtesy of: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/fruit-dessert/sweet-and-savory-shortcake.html