Add Brussels Sprouts and you have YUM... Hash? Brussels sprouts have to be one of my favorite fall green vegetables and I had been meaning to try something new with them, a brussels sprout hash. Hash is a dish that often consists of diced meat, onions and potatoes and it is typically served as a breakfast dish along with eggs. I was thinking that it would be great fun to change things up a bit and do brussels sprouts for breakfast in a 'hash' along with some bacon, onions and sweet potato served with fried eggs! Brussels sprouts can be a little on the bitter side so I went with sweet potatoes for this hash to balance things out and the bacon adds a nice smokiness and saltiness. Hash is super easy to make and it is a one pan dish as you can cook the eggs in the pan in little holes or wells made in the hash and you can transfer the pan to the oven to finish cooking the tops of the eggs.
The brussels sprout hash with sweet potatoes and bacon turned out wonderfully well and I have to say that it is fun to have brussels sprouts for breakfast! I enjoy this brussels sprout hash so much that I have been making different versions of over the last few days and although I prefer it with sweet potatoes it also works with regular potatoes and even without the potatoes!
• strips of Bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
• salt and pepper to taste
• 4 eggs
1. Cook the Bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside.
2. Add the onion and sweet potato to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the brussels sprouts, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes, let sit until the bottoms start to caramelize, about 5 minutes, mix everything up, let sit for 5 minutes and mix it all up.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Create 4 small wells in the hash, add the eggs and cook until the desired level of done-ness.
see more at: http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/11/brussels-sprout-hash-with-sweet-potato.html