Celebrate National Candied Orange Peels Day with this delicious Bacon covered in Chocolate topped with Candied Orange Peels!
Thick sliced Bacon
Milk or Dark chocolate chips
Candied Orange Peels (recipe below) - must be dried 24-48 hours in advance.
Cook Bacon strips to desired crispiness. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
Add a bit of bacon fat to your chocolate chips. Melt chips in microwave on 50% power until completely melted.
Dip crispy strips of bacon into melted chocolate and top with Candied Orange Peels.
How to make Candied Orange Peels:
3 oranges, navel work well
2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1. Cut the top and bottom from the orange.
2. Cut the peel each orange into 4 vertical pieces and remove from orange in one piece.
3. Cut the peel into thin strips.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook the peels in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and rinse.
5. Bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium heat in a sauce pan.
6. Add the peel, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the peels are tender, about 45 minutes.
7. Place the peels on a cooling rack and let them sit until the coating is dry, anywhere from 24-48 hours.