Today is National Chocolate Day! I say, what goes better with chocolate than BACON! It includes coconut milk, coconut sugar, and dark chocolate, what else do you really need? I am also going to include the recipe for the salted caramel, so you can officially say, this is homemade!
1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
1 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1) In a heavy-bottomed pot, add the coconut milk, coconut sugar and salt.
2) Whisk to combine the ingredients, and turn on the heat. Bring to boil for 15 minutes watching carefully so the mixture doesn’t boil over.
3) Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more, making sure it doesn’t burn.
4) Wear gloves to pour the caramel into a small bowl, and stir periodically as it cools to room temperature.
5) If the caramel isn’t thick when it reaches room temperature, pour it back into the pot and let it simmer over the lowest heat possible for another 3-5 minutes.
6) Wear gloves to pour caramel back into the small bowl, stirring occasionally until it reaches room temperature. Store covered at room temperature.
Salted Caramel Bacon Bark
1/2 batch Salted Caramel
6 ounces dark chocolate
4 strips of crisp cooked Bacon
1) Make Salted Caramel recipe above and let it cool to almost room temperature.
2) Line an 8″ x 8″ dish with a piece of unbleached parchment paper big enough to cover the bottom and go up the sides. Pinch the corners to help it stay in place and set aside
3) Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and pour it into the prepared dish.
4) Allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature on the counter then place it in the freezer until hard.
5) Drizzle the caramel over the chocolate and sprinkle the top with crumbled crisp Bacon.
6) Freeze the candy until it's hard enough to break into bark. You can then store in the refrigerator or freezer.
thank you to: