Around the world, Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. In the U.S., it is almost always prepared from pork belly. Elsewhere, it is more often made from side and back cuts, and bacon made from bellies is referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style". The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon.
Here are a few unique types of bacon you should know about:
- "The original" classic American strip bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. It is usually made from side and back cuts of pork, except in the United States, where it is almost always prepared from pork belly (typically referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style" outside of the US). The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon.
- Canadian Bacon is the best tasting USDA approved boneless cured pork loin (Peameal Bacon) in Canada. Peameal Bacon is a boneless cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal, not what is commonly known in the United States as "Canadian Bacon" which is basically a smoked ham. This unique product of extraordinary quality is now available to you exclusively through Gord's Great Canadian Bacon Company.
- Back Bacon is made from the loin of the pig. It's got a good bit more meat on it, is leaner than streaky, and is perfect for bacon rolls and butties. In the USA this may be described as "Canadian bacon", but that term covers a multitude of sins of pork product, so be more precise if you're looking for back bacon across the pond.
- Pancetta is a type of dry cured meat, similar to bacon. It is pork belly that has been salt cured and spiced (nutmeg, pepper, fennel, dried ground hot peppers and garlic are often featured), and dried for about three months (but usually not smoked).
- Prosciutto means “ham” in Italian and is a delicious gourmet cured bacon. Prosciutto is great wrapped around dried fruit, or in pasta and sandwiches. In English, the term prosciutto is almost always used for a dry-cured ham that is usually sliced thin and served uncooked; this style is called prosciutto crudo in Italian and is distinguished from cooked ham, prosciutto cotto.
- Serrano Ham is a Spanish bacon. It is very close to its cousin Proscuitto and is a wonderful product.
- Turkey Bacon is meat product usually prepared from smoked, chopped and reformed turkeyand commonly marketed as a low-fat alternative to traditional pork bacon. While turkey bacon can be used in place of regular bacon in some dishes, it cannot be used in recipes that require the higher fat content of pork bacon. Turkey bacon can be used as a substitute for pork bacon wherereligious restrictions forbid the consumption of pork or as a healthier alternative.
- Danish brown sugar slab bacon. Slice this top-quality, extremely lean whole slab bacon as thick as you want. This slab bacon is brown sugar cured and hardwood smoked. Keep it in the freezer or enjoy bacon for breakfast every day and store it in the fridge. Imported from Denmark. Size 7 pounds.
- Duck Bacon. Many different meats are now used to make bacon-like products, usually with less fat and therefore less rich flavor than pork bacon, and it isn’t as crispy when cooked.Made from moulard duck breast, our unique duck bacon has a rich, smoky flavor that you're sure to enjoy. Serve it for breakfast or use it to enhance all kinds of dishes, including salads, pizza and pasta.
- Samgyeopsal is a popular Korean dish. Commonly served as an evening meal, it consists of thick, fatty slices of pork belly meat. The meat, usually not marinated nor seasoned, is cooked on a grill at the diners' table. Usually diners grill the meat themselves and eat directly from a grill.
- Morning Star Streaky Strips (Vegetarian Bacon). Seems kind of wrong to include this, but we'll run with it. Morning Star’s streaky strips are different, thought. For one thing, they’re almost as unhealthy as the original stuff.
- Vegan Eggplant Bacon. This recipe for crispy eggplant Bacon is a smoky and flavorful option that Veggie-inclined folks are sure to enjoy.